Hawaiian Sunset Cake Recipe
- 12-16 Servings
- Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white or orange cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 package (10 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Toasted coconut, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, coconut and sour cream. Reserve 1 cup; set aside. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with a third of the remaining pineapple mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Fold whipped topping into the reserved pineapple mixture. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.